If you own a small business in Ireland please read on…
Most small business owners do not invest sufficient time, effort or energy into marketing. They invest heavily at the start when they have nothing else to do and then the business or probably the “busyness” takes over.
The problem with the “busyness” is that 80% of the effort is wasted on things that are neither important nor urgent.
Developing a marketing mindset for your business is Business Basics. So what marketing should you do? Here are some guidelines:
- You need to think about marketing for new customers or clients all the time
- You need to market to your existing clients and customers all the time
- You need to educate your team on what exactly marketing is and how they play a role in the success of the business.
So lets look at these in a bit more detail.
1. Marketing for New Customers. This usually involves going out into the big bad world, getting your message out there using all the various marketing mediums. This can be press, TV, Radio, Social Media, Internet Marketing, signage, Direct Market etc. There are over 100 ways to attract new customers to you business. Decide on 1 or 2 at a time, master them and most importantly Test and Measure the responses that you get. Effective measuring will allow for increased targeted spend on your ideal customers. As we know in Ireland, word of mouth and referral are the best ways by far to market a business. Equally, because people talk to each other, negative word of mouth can also prevail so be careful on this.
2. Marketing to existing customers. This can be summarised in one word “Database”. From your first day in business, you should build a customer database. this makes any future marketing less expensive, direct and allows you to promote specific products and services to particular customers. The easiest way is using mobile or email. Most people do not have this and therefore struggle to give their business a boost when required most.
3. Educating your team. Don’t assume that your team are fully au fait with your business, your marketing strategy or your desire to grow your business. You have to take the time to explain the importance of marketing, the marketing strategies that you are adopting, why you are using those strategies and how they can use them as well. Your team members have to be the biggest fans of your business and they need to know why you are different. We called this your Unique Selling Proposition. This should appear on all your marketing in one guise or another.
If you want to know about how to get started with basic no frills marketing in your business get in touch today…