Sales Professionals are in short supply in Ireland. for the past 6 months I have been looking for a number of sales professionals to take up roles in good companies but very few applicants appear to have what it takes.
Yes there are plenty of people with “sales” experience, with “road” experience but in the main, they are order takers or merchandisers for FMCG companies. Now, don’t get me wrong, these professionals also do a very worthwhile and valuable job but very few of the skills are transferable to a “problem solving” or “solution selling” role.
Here are some of the reasons why there are so few problem solving sales professionals in Ireland…
- Most people have negative beliefs about selling and many never venture near the profession
- The problem solving sales professionals have to work hard on their jobs and very hard on themselves. Many people don’t want to take the time to do either.
- Problem solving sales professionals have to get up early, be at their first call early, differentiate, build trust and rapport, maintain their focus and solve a problem for a client in such a way that the client then entrusts is problem to them. This takes skill and dogged determination. Most are not willing to pay the price.
- Most people think sales is about being able to talk and talk and talk. Its not, its about being able to ask questions, get to the problem and offer a fix or solution to the problem.
- The ability to build rapport and longer term relationships takes time to develop. It is as important now for complex sales as it ever was. People are looking for the quick fix.
- Professional sales people understand that they actually work for themselves and they determine the size of their pay cheque each week, no one else. People entering a sales position, expecting to be home for tea every day are misguided. Its a tough world out there.
On the other hand, being successful at problem solving sales is one of the most rewarding professions you can have. In addition to helping people every day, you can build great relationships, you can learn about your own ability to survive and thrive in any environment and you can also learn about what makes you tick.
You can also earn great money being a professional sales person and you deserve every penny because the profession does require commitment, energy, enthusiasm, integrity and above all a determination to do whatever it takes to be successful.
If you believe that you have what it takes and want to learn how to be brilliant at sales take the first step now.